MANAVLOK is located at Ambajogai Tehsil(Block) of Beed District, in Maharashtra’s drought prone Marathwada area. The nearest cities are Aurangabad (230 km to North West), Parbhani (90 km to North East), Nanded (130 km to East) and Latur (50 km to South). The state capital Mumbai is about 500km to the West.
We work in over 150 villages at Beed, Osmanabad and Latur districts, focusing on marginal farmers, landless laborers and women. Rainfall in the target area is erratic and aggregate rainfall averages 66.9cm per annum.
Temperatures range from 13 to 43 degrees centigrade. 60% of the villages are situated in a hilly belt with red, stony alluvial soil, while the remaining 40% are on undulating plains with medium to deep, black cotton soil. Few of these villages enjoy the benefits of the government’s irrigation networks. The population density is approximately 170 persons per square kilometer.